FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

Stenograph foot pedal!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dinkyfish

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:55 am    Post subject: Stenograph foot pedal! Reply with quote

Just checking to see if anyone knows if this pedal can be used with any digital transcription software or is it only used in Case Catalyst? Does it work with, say, ExpressScribe or StartStop???
wokiebear
Registered Diplomate Ranter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it will work with other programs....you just need the drivers for that program. ExpressScribe has the drivers on their WEB site, with install info on where to put it. Same thing with other programs.

You have to then activate within the program.
dinkyfish

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:50 pm    Post subject: vpedal Reply with quote

I saw on the website it works with Express Scribe, Itunes and Windows Media Player. I work with NCH's StartStop and really want to try and make it work with this program. If not, I guess I'll just use media player or another. Thanks for responding.

Diana
wokiebear

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will work...you just need to dig thru support to DL the driver associated with ExpressScribe. I don't know what your model is, or I could direct you to the right spot.

Tec. Info:
http://www.altoedge.com/support/pedals.html#ABA

Foot Pedal Installation:
http://www.nch.com.au/kb/10225.html

Foot Pedal Drivers: (Use vecusb.exe for 3-pedal or Infinity pedals)
http://www.nch.com.au/components/

Site that explains how to activate:
http://nch.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=3506
dinkyfish

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:51 pm    Post subject: startstop Reply with quote

I guess what I was wanting to know is if it can work with StartStop?? I have figured out how to get it to work with express scribe and with windows media player, which will get me by. i just really wanted it to work with StartStop...i'll keep playing with and see if i can somehow get it to. Thanks again!
wokiebear

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see what you're saying. I looked at the manual online for Start-Stop.

When you install the program, it's assuming you already have a foot pedal installed via Windows. I think you can install it afterwards, but you will have to configure the pedal to be used with SS, a lot like you do with ExpressScribe.

As you install SS, it asks you what foot pedal you have, and then you can configure it. If you don't have the pedal, it bypasses that part. Since SG's pedal's driver is most likely proprietary, when you install their pedal, it's auto-directed to CC, and that's why I say to DL the other driver o install.

Going under the assumption that the driver for the Stenograph pedal is proprietary and it installed only in the driver folder for CC, then another driver would need to be installed for SS. If you have the same one tht CC has, it can use the Infinity driver I pointed you to above. Only when you click on the file to install, direct the menu to SS to install.

You may need to restart to make your PC recognize the driver. Open your SS program. You should have a menu (according to the manual) called Configure at the top. Click on that menu and look for an area where you can configure your foot pedal. It looks to be pretty intuitive with easy instructions. I think you can get it to work like that. Most programs allow add-on after installation. If Configure is not at the top, look thru various menus to see if it's embedded in one of them.

This is precisely how I got my foot pedal to work with CC...by directing the driver file to CC. Try it and see if that works.

This program does assume you have a CD for the pedal and already installed before you installed the program....but with a driver that goes to Windows/System32/drivers instead of going just to cc/drivers. Hope that makes sense.

I think you can use this workaround.
wokiebear

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the manual I found. Look on page 53. It's a bit confusing, because the manual tells you to install the pedal before installing SS, but then the troubleshooting says if you installed the USB pedal after, good...

http://www.startstop.com/pdf/SST_Manual.pdf
AM
Registered Professional Ranter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wokie, would you mind giving me a little more info how you got your foot pedal to work in CC? I have an Infinity in-usb-1, and I think I'm just looking in the wrong places. I'd love to use it in Catalyst.

Ann Marie
wokiebear

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to have the driver installed to the cc driver file. I hacked it a bit to be able to use the foot pedal...CC uses a small file that does the same thing. I hesitate to talk about that as I'm not sure it's exactly ethical. There is a way to write your own driver file.

On the NCH Web site there's an area that tells you how to write your own driver file that I used. CC needs the ability to recognize the foot pedal. Try that.
AM
Registered Professional Ranter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Wokie! I'll check it out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forum.depoman.com Forum Index -> Software All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: