FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

Why did Stenograph stop making the ╔lan Mira?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
logical101

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:36 am    Post subject: Why did Stenograph stop making the ╔lan Mira? Reply with quote

Curious to know why the ╔lan Mira is no longer being made by Stenograph.

It has been replaced by the DiamantÚ, I know. But, even before that they were only offering refurbished Mira's.

Why is that?
cheryl
Registered Professional Ranter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe because it's a POS. Mine was fine for the first year. Then it started shotgunning (of of of of) and letters not showing up. I have always carried it, never put it in a rolling case, because when I first bought it, the tech said it was SO sensitive that rolling it over cracks and bumps could upset the adjustment. I personally think if you're going to pay that much money, it should last longer than three years.

I know others have no problem with theirs, but my experience has not been positive.
Marge Teilhaber
Registered Diplomate Ranter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't use these machines, but the way people rave about the Diamante, I'm not surprised that they don't bother with the Mira anymore.
Andrea Michelle
Famous Reporter
Famous Reporter

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does Chevy make last year's model Camaro after they tweak it and improve it for this year's model? Why would they? I don't even understand the question.
LuvaQThorse

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought my Mira about three months before the Diamonte came out. Big Arghhh!!! It is now paid off & I'm not in a position to buy a new writer when this one "seems" to be writing well & I've taken care of it. However, for the past few months I have been getting "it it it it" even though I thought I had adjusted the T key after I noticed this happening more and more. I am guilty of rolling it over the curb at one of our offices! The only time I haven't babied it! Oye
Steno Jules
Famous Reporter
Famous Reporter

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a G2, replaced it with an A3 that now has almost six years under its belt. That thing has been through hell and back. It rolls down cobblestone walkways on a daily basis, and jumping curbs and climbing stairs, well we do that for sport. It's like the steno writer X-games. It still works like a freaking champ. I know it's the Diamante's punk little sister, but I love my Mira.
tracytcsr

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't had problems with my Mira. Well, except for the stacking. But I have a hunch that I may be stacked and not just my writer Very Happy
MaryAnnRDR
Famous Reporter
Famous Reporter

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never heard too many glowing reviews like Jules' about the Mira. I had one and hated it. Actually, the chick I lent it to who ultimately absconded with it - she's overseas now, I understand - good lord, let's not get into that again too much, but let's just say when I say it's the principle of the thing, IT IS. I don't want that writer back - just the money for it. Or, in the alternative, anyone who happens upon her and can wrest it out of her hands may officially have it, and my only payment would be knowing that she doesn't. How's that?

M.A.
LB
Famous Reporter
Famous Reporter

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.A., I thought that had been resolved! I guess I never read the end of the story...

I've had a G2 since 2005, and it gets rolled over everything. I have had an issue with an extra A and O showing up, but I think it's because it's never been cleaned. I adjusted for the extra letters with a few dictionary entries and it's doing fine. I got a "free" iPod with mine (to use for audio backup that could supposedly be synched) because they knew (I think) that they were coming out with the A3 soon that had the audio in the machine and didn't want to tell me. I'm just sayin'...

LAB
Maxxy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrea Murphy wrote:
Does Chevy make last year's model Camaro after they tweak it and improve it for this year's model? Why would they? I don't even understand the question.

I don't understand your logic. Chevy still makes Camaros and tweaks and improves them (like the 2011 Camaro). But SG still doesn't make Miras and tweak and improve and put out a newer version (like the Mira A4).

SG made a completely different writer, the Diamante. Like Chevy makes completely different cars: A Camaro, a Corvette, etc.
logical101

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gracem- agreed. Mercedes Benz makes a new Benz if not every year then every other year, but still a Benz. The name and maker of the car still exists if not the model. And the dealer usually has more than just one to offer and it's not necessarily pre-owned.

With that in mind, Stenograph stopped making the Mira period and only offers it refurbished, but still makes the Fusion which came out before or at the same time as the Mira.

Just because Stenograph has the DiamantÚ, then stop making the Mira because it's totally paperless too? I'm just asking.
Depoman
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In answer to the Stenograph/Chevy question, more on point, that's like asking why Chevy quit making this:

when they started making this:

Why wouldn't they?

logical101

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 420SEL 1991 MB. Which has been updated many times over, but that '91 SEL still turns heads and is appreciated by many. While the newer models can't take a lick, I can run them down and run over them.

Okay, there's a new and improved paperless writer. Great.

No question, if you don't know the answer, is stupid. Because the reader or hearer might not understand it, does not make it stupid or not worth asking. Just makes your thought process different.

Why still make the Fusion and not still make the Mira at the price they're selling it refurbished. Not everyone can afford the Diamante, so because you can't afford a new writer, you're left with only getting a pre-owned/refurbished Mira, or the mechanical writer the Fusion?

Why?
chartman
Stenograph Certified Trainer
Stenograph Certified Trainer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

logical101:

I'm in training, not development, manufacturing, marketing nor one of the people in charge, so this is an educated guess, vs. an official answer.

My supposition: cost vs. market. You can't manufacture something cost-effectively for a very small market. The number of users who purchase machines is very small to begin with. As you increase the number of models of machines (by Stenograph and all competitors) on the market , you necessarily decrease the total number of sales per model, unless a particular model is "better" and/or more popular than any other.

FYI, using a car as an analogy doesn't really work, you're talking apples and oranges because the market for cars is HUGE. Imagine for a second that the only people who would be interested in buying cars were court reporters. Instead of having billions of potential buyers, now you're down to a few thousand. How many models do you think there would be and how much would they cost?
Debbie T

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheryl wrote:
Maybe because it's a POS. .

That's what I wanted to say. Thanks, Cheryl! "Shotgunning (had had had had) -- so that's what it's called. I HATE my Mira. I've had it cleaned, and I've adjusted it every which way I can think to stop the stacking, splitting and shotgunning. Can't afford a new machine right now, but can't wait to get one. I really can't do realtime with this "POS," and my editing time, I'm sure, is substantially more than it should be. Come to think of it, maybe I can't afford NOT to buy a new machine.
logical101

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well there you have.

As to the car analogy, I didn't begin with it, it was a spinoff from someone else's comment which I, if no else, appreciated.

And to go a bit further with that analogy, all makes and models don't tickle everyone's fancy the same. I may like this or that, others may not.

So it is with writers. Some people love the Fusion, others would never dream of using it. Some love their Mira and have never had a problem with it, or may have only had minor issues. Others love the DiamantÚ and would not use anything else...until something else debuts on the showroom floor with halogen lights shining on it's shiny body.

Choice...ain't it grand.
Steno Jules
Famous Reporter
Famous Reporter

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of posts in this thread really having me thinking about something that has always bothered me. Why do writer manufacturers refuse to admit when a machine has a flaw? I've never understood that. I've had two Miras. Both incredibly reliable and have had no problems with stacking or rapid fire of a key stroke. But it seems that when someone does have a problem like that with either the Mira, the Diamante, Passport or other writers from various manufactures, they just claim it's the person sitting at the machine. Makes me crazy. Even a shiny new writer can have a problem. This is why we have the Lemon Law for cars. It happens in every industry, but it seems like the writer manufacturers just blame it on the reporter.

I totally understand that new writers have to be adjusted to fit the writing style of the reporter. I get that. But why is so hard to believe that maybe, just maybe every now and then a real stinker makes it out of the factory?
Depoman
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steno Jules wrote:
A couple of posts in this thread really having me thinking about something that has always bothered me. Why do writer manufacturers refuse to admit when a machine has a flaw?

I have no inside knowledge on this, but I'll venture a guess. A court reporter can be a highly intelligent rational individual. "Court reporters" are panicky cattle that, once they smell blood, never go off the scent. If any company were to say "Regrettably, we acknowledge our machine does stack," it would be on every forum on the Internet within seconds that Machine X has a fatal flaw that will make you keel over and die if you drag the final L three times in a row. That's part one.

Part two is that very many times, it actually is the reporter behind the machine that's the problem. I picked up a schweet deal on a Diamante because a friend of mine swore up, down and sideways that it was ruining her writing. I borrowed it for a week, wrote better on hers than I did on my own D, so I made her an offer and been writing on it ever since. If Stenograph knuckled under and agreed with her that it was the machine's fault, what an incredible disservice to anyone that opted for another writer based on that misinformation.

Just my two cents from running a court reporting forum for the last 13 years. Very Happy

logical101

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depoman, I understand, BUT what happened to the old ways of doing things? What happened to customer service?

When you purchase an item, especially a high priced one, why is it Stenograph finds it so difficult to say, hey, you purchased this costly item from us, customer service is our number one priority. Send it to us, we'll take a look and see what we can do. Why is that s o difficult? You're not acknowledging it's a lemon, you're saying, we want our customers to be happy because we want you to not only keep coming back, but to be happy to return and to do so willingly, and not because we're the largest manufacturer of stenographic equipment and we have you by the cohones and the wallet.

No. It should be because customer service is essential to return business. Good business practice would be to tell reporters who are ordering writers
that a new model is coming out. If the sales rep doesn't know, then good
customer service would be to either give a percentage off the current writer purchased or something off your next purchase, or some small gesture of
rightness.

No, the other scenario is what usually happens. You call rep explain situation and the response is, "There's nothing we can do about that."

No. Not good customer service.
cheryl

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I picked up a schweet deal on a Diamante because a friend of mine swore up, down and sideways that it was ruining her writing. I borrowed it for a week, wrote better on hers than I did on my own D, so I made her an offer and been writing on it ever since."

Wait. I want to make sure I'm understanding this.

Are you saying you bought a Diamante, and then wrote better on somebody else's Diamante, so you bought their Diamante?

So do you think that yours was a lemon? Or do you think they all come off the assembly line just a little different and it depends on the luck of the draw which one you get and how well you write on it?

I'm serious. I'm not being sarcastic and I don't want a sarcastic response. I'm just trying to understand before I plunk down another 5K on a writer.
Because like Debbie T said, it really affects your editing time and your RT to deal with these issues.

Oh, Debbie, speaking of increased editing time, my S key suddenly stopped registering during a depo a couple of weeks ago. Talk about a nightmare. And just as mysteriously, 30 pages later, it decided to start showing up again.
Steno Jules
Famous Reporter
Famous Reporter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, as I said, I absolutely agree that it can, in fact, just be the reporter adjusting to a new machine. I get that. I'm not even suggesting that a particular line of writers has a problem. It just strikes me, though, that when a veteran reporter can't make a writer work that maybe, just maybe, there is actually a flaw. I'm not suggesting that is always the case, as your experience indicates, but to believe that every writer that leaves the factory is A+ perfect just isn't realistic. I mean, when a brand new laptop crashes on day two, it's possible that the operator downloaded some crazy virus, but it's not automatically assumed that it's operator error and you're just SOL.
Depoman
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheryl wrote:
Are you saying you bought a Diamante, and then wrote better on somebody else's Diamante, so you bought their Diamante?

See, I was a little unclear, and that's how things get misconstrued on the Internet. Not at all. Mine is/was absolutely wonderful, but I always like to have a spare on hand for emergencies, so I bought it so I'd have two. All I remember was the day I was using hers, I was getting my butt handed to me and I was writing like a champ, so in my mind it felt pretty good.

The final answer is I still have both, and I can't really remember which was mine and which was hers at this point. I do know that up until the time that Susan bought her pink D, she was using one or the other of the D's we had in the office and absolutely loved it enough to absolutely have to buy the pinkie.

Depoman
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steno Jules wrote:
...but to believe that every writer that leaves the factory is A+ perfect just isn't realistic.

I agree with that statement, Jules, but a lot of is has to do with the expectation set in the reporter's mind. When I got my D, I probably added 500-700 new dictionary entries to compensate for the strange way some strokes were tranning, so there was a learning curve. That's the approach that I took. A year later, I've never written better in my life, so it was time well spent.

Another reporter, at the first sign of an odd outline that got split in a strange way might pitch a wall-eyed fit and return it to the manufacturer as a lemon because, as we all know, reporters are perfect and so it must be the machine.

That's really my point, that there's not a set standard for "malfunction." If you turn it on and it starts smoking or goes black, that's a malfunction, send it to the factory for sure... and I'd be shocked if any writer company said two words before they sent you a replacement.

Andrea Michelle
Famous Reporter
Famous Reporter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My D did go black and SG fixed it without a moment's hesitation.
Maxxy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depoman wrote:
cheryl wrote:

See, I was a little unclear, and that's how things get misconstrued on the Internet. Not at all. Mine is/was absolutely wonderful, but I always like to have a spare on hand for emergencies, so I bought it so I'd have two. All I remember was the day I was using hers, I was getting my butt handed to me and I was writing like a champ, so in my mind it felt pretty good.

The final answer is I still have both, and I can't really remember which was mine and which was hers at this point. I do know that up until the time that Susan bought her pink D, she was using one or the other of the D's we had in the office and absolutely loved it enough to absolutely have to buy the pinkie.

Oh, thanks for clarifying. I feel a little better now. I thought it was just chance that someone would get a bad machine. I don't really hear a lot of people say they don't like the Diamante, where the Mira is really divided between people who love it and people who hate it.
karenkaye

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had my diamante 2 months now, and agree with Mike, re d-defining to fix the problem. I have had some split stacking, very minor. and it seemed to always happen during times when the word counter was 300+. I don't know how many entries I made; probably no more than 20 or 30, but the problem doesn't seem to occur now at all.

btw, someone need to borrow a writer while theirs was being cleaned, so I got out my stentura. [i had 2, having sent one to SG for a rebate when I bought the diamante]

for old time's sake, I wrote on it for a couple of minutes. I've wrote on that writer, or the one I sent to SG, for the past 16 years of my life! I saw every little remnant of my time with it.

Like, all the tape residue because I had to tape the cord of the charger up against the side of the writer because otherwise it would just fall right out of the plug-in hole on the underside

or the keys, some with little groove scratches in them from my nails.

opening the top, like you were dropping in another ribbon cartridge, the pictures of the faces of my kids taped up underneath.

and that static dissipator! I don't know that thing ever dissipated any static, but it was just such a funny looking thing, like a teeny-tiny miniature horse's tail, hanging over the edge. I always thought SG should have made those things in a neon colors. Wink

then, as I wrote on it, set at the shortest stroke depth and the lightest touch, I realized why my wrists would ache at the end of a long day. I took out the pictures of my kids and put the writer on the other reporter's desk, with a note to keep it as long as she needed it.

with my diamante today I was in motions court, all colloquy, from 18 different cases; 230 pages for the morning session and 137 for the afternoon session. My hands and wrists don't feel like I've even been in court.

I just wonder if I'll get 10 solid years out of it. it's probably unrealistic to think it would go 15-plus, like the stenturas. those things were built like tanks.

karenkaye
logical101

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too had two Stenturas. Sold one and kept the other. I've used the one I kept for over four years. It wasn't bad when I was working in another court, but where I am now, it's constant daily pounding. My wrists and some of my fingers began to ache me.

Recently able to get a DiamantÚ. Let me tell you,the D-is like a Maybach (again with the cars) compared to a Datsun with stick shift and you're not to good at it. A major difference.
logical101

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, call me crazy, but I gotta ask..is writing on the Mira close or similar to writing on a D, or am I totally way off base in even entertaining this thought?
karenkaye

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

logical101 wrote:
Okay, call me crazy, but I gotta ask..is writing on the Mira close or similar to writing on a D, or am I totally way off base in even entertaining this thought?

there's a reporter in my office who has a mira and has written on my Diamante, and says the feels much 'smoother' and the touch is lighter. she would love to get one, but can't afford it. she calls my diamante 'D bomb'!

logical, this is how I saved for my diamante.
I opened a savings account at a bank right across the street from the courthouse where I work, and all my small checks, say, $200 and below, or cash transactions for transcripts, I would put that money in the savings account. I had saved a couple thousand in about 14 months. then, I had an appeal off a once in a blue moon trial that came my way. the trial transcript money, plus the savings account, plus my stentura trade-in, gave me enough to get the new writer.
kk
MaryAnnRDR
Famous Reporter
Famous Reporter

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Logical, the Diamante is hell and gone from writing on a Mira. Absolutely No Comparison.

MA
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forum.depoman.com Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: