FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

SOME OF THE THINGS THAT MAKE ME HAPPY

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forum.depoman.com Forum Index -> Gregorian History
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gregadelson
Famous Reporter
Famous Reporter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:50 am    Post subject: SOME OF THE THINGS THAT MAKE ME HAPPY Reply with quote

There are a lot of important issues that make me happy: Feeling well,
having the ability to pay my bills, knowing the people I care about are okay. Those are things that are important to me. There are other things that make me happy. The reason they come to mind is they reared up this very day. I got up this morning and checked my e-mail. I had an unusually high amount of e-mails. It then dawned on me: Hey, today is my birthday. A bunch of people took a moment to wish me a happy birthday. You know, that made me very happy. I don't know if you get the same feeling when somebody wishes you a happy birthday, but I hope you do.

There is an old lady who lives next door to me. She is 87. Her husband died a couple years ago. About nine months ago her son died. Her other son died about seven years ago. She has a very caring daughter-in-law and grandchildren in Colorado. They would like her to move to Colorado, but she can't because she can't live in the elevation. She is very fragile. She has a daughter-in-law and grandchildren in New York. They really don't pay much attention to her. She doesn't drive. My wife and I decided that we are going to help her out. If she needs to go to the market or the doctor, one of us will take her. I enjoy helping her. I makes me happy. She recently had to move into an assisted-living facility. She has been there for only a couple days. She had been in the hospital, then transferred to a nursing home, and now the assisted-living facility. She is in pain, very weak, and very depressed. She really wants to die. She is in the assisted-living facility to receive therapy and get stronger. When I got to her room today she was sleeping in a chair. I woke her up. I brought her some stuff from her house. We talked. she told me how unhappy and afraid she is, discussed her constipation with me. She was thinking her daughter-in-law was privy to some negative medical facts about her that she was not sharing with her. I got my cell phone out and got the daughter-in-law's telephone number in Colorado from information. I explained that her mother-in-law needed some assurances about the reasoning for her being there instead of a hospital or nursing home. The reasoning was that the nursing home or hospital was like a prescription for death. The assisted-living place was a place for rehabilitation and a chance to get stronger and recover. She had a nice chat with her daughter-in-law. I told her that she had to stop thinking about dying, that she had to start thinking in a positive manner and work with the staff. I told her unfortunately most people don't just die; the suffer before they die. I wanted her to have some quality of life before she dies. I think I got her attention. My parting comment was somewhat Gregorian: "Listen, this is a nice place. I hate to even think about the /SH*EUT hole I'm going to end up in." That caused her to smile and even laugh just a little bit.

That also made me happy, making this old lady's life just a little easier.
laureltn
Famous Reporter
Famous Reporter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like +1

what a kind and thoughtful thing to do, Greg. and Happy Birthday, my friend. Tough day for me and reading this made me smile anyway.

L
MaryAnnRDR
Famous Reporter
Famous Reporter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Greg. Since you are right on the cusp of Taurus and Cancer, what is your zodiac sun sign? According to Time magazine and others, the rotation of the earth has caused some zodiac signs to change ... so better to categorize by character trait than by date, perhaps.

By the way, here's the article on the changing of the zodiac signs:
http://newsfeed.time.com/2011/01/13/horoscope-hang-up-earth-rotation-changes-zodiac-signs/

So now let's figure out where your birthday puts you in the zodiac chart. Some people think it's a bunch of crap (and as accurate as your future told on a fortune cookie) but I think it's fun! Look at it this way ... better "What's your sign?" than "Here's your sign!" Right?

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, GREG! And many happy returns of the day!

In solidarity and online friendship,

M.A.
zwischy
Registered Diplomate Ranter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a book a co-worker showed to me once upon a time which used both the zodiac and the Chinese zodiac as well to come up with personality types. Several people were astounded at how closely the book seemed to explain their personalities. It was just eerie.

I don't recall exactly which book it was, but I think it might be The New Astrology by Suzanne White. Now, don't get me wrong, I've never put a lot of stock into what horoscopes say, but I admit I was still impressed with how accurate people said it was about them. It's an entertaining read, at any rate.
MaryAnnRDR
Famous Reporter
Famous Reporter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at a long list of character traits for each zodiac sign and discovered that Greg's got traits in EVERY sign. But then it's a subjective list. Here are the traits I pulled out of every sign that I feel belong to Greg:

Capricorn: Prudent, disciplined, humorous
Aquarius: Friendly, humanitarian, honest, loyal, original, inventive, independent
Pices: Imaginative, compassionate, kind, sympathetic
Aries: Energetic, enthusiastic, quick-witted
Taurus: Warm-hearted, persistent, determined
Gemini: Communicative and witty
Cancer: Imaginative, sympathetic
Leo: Generous, warm-hearted, creative, enthusiastic
Virgo: Reliable, diligent
Libra: Easygoing and sociable
Scorpio: Determined and forceful, emotional, passionate
Sagittarius: Freedom-loving, good-humored, honest and straightforward, intellectual, philosophical

However, reviewing the whole list, knowing just a bit about zodiac signs but knowing you, Greg, only from your online persona, I would actually place Gregorino into the Sagittarius category.

M.A.
(On the cusp of Leo/Virgo)
gregadelson
Famous Reporter
Famous Reporter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:25 pm    Post subject: Happy Reply with quote

Hey, Laurel and M.A., two of my favorites. Thanks for the birthday wishes.

Carter, are you sure you aren't Jewish?

The topic of astrology is kind of nostalgic for me. You know, age of Aquarius. When I was in my twenties, having been a little institutionalized from being in the Navy, astrology was a talking point for me with girls. Not having a clue how to approach them at that age, it was what's your major, what's your sign, I really love your boots, I'm going to school to be a court reporter. That was almost about it. The only other connection with astrology was reading about the Zodiac Killer in the Bay area, who used to communicate with the press through Melvin Belli. The first experience was a little silly, and the second experience was a little scary.

p.s. Laurel, hope the stress in your day didn't involve anything too serious
MaryAnnRDR
Famous Reporter
Famous Reporter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what came after the "I'm going to school to be a court reporter"? Kind of like, "Hey, girl! How you doin'?" (Sip drink. Look around.) "So, what's your major?" (Listening) "Really? I'm going to school to be a -- oh, by the way, LOVE those boots! -- to be a court reporter." (Listening) "Uh-huh." (Sip drink.) "Uh-huh." (Check out the bod without appearing to check out the bod) "So ... can I put you under oath later?" Greg, I put you in the "quite charming" category, so I'm sure you had some clever pickup lines that went right along with that! Here's one thing you've proved is true: When hitting on a girl, you can n-e-v-e-r go wrong with the "What's your ..." approach.

M.A.
gregadelson
Famous Reporter
Famous Reporter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:39 pm    Post subject: happy Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm going to be a court reporter.

Oh, yeah. What newspaper?

(rim shot)

No, no. I take down what everyone says on one of those little machines. I work in court, not for a newspaper.

Oh, yeah? That really sounds interesting.

So what sign are you?

Oh, you have a boyfriend? Well, why didn't you tell me that before I bought you those two drinks.

No, I'm not angry. It's just that I met a girl with the most beautiful smile I have ever seen. Now I really feel like /SH*EUT. I had it and then I lost it.
I thought maybe we could go to Palm Springs together tomorrow, but I guess that's off, huh? Where did you get those boots? They're stunning.

Listen, I have two bleeding heart tetras in a plastic bag and if I don't get them home into my tank, they are going to die. I am torn between saving the lives of these fish or spending more time with you.
zwischy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've been accused of being a schmuck, but I think that's about as close as I get to being Jewish.
laureltn
Famous Reporter
Famous Reporter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Happy Reply with quote

gregadelson wrote:
Hey, Laurel and M.A., two of my favorites. Thanks for the birthday wishes.

p.s. Laurel, hope the stress in your day didn't involve anything too serious

just your "happy day" is a sad day for me -- but now I have a happy thought to help balance it off. Circle of life and all that.

(and MA, we Taureans claim Gregorio!!)
Janet
Registered Professional Ranter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bless your heart, Greg. Helping that poor old soul is a wonderful thing to do.

And HAPPY BIRTHDAY to you!
smtegner

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy Birthday, Greg Smile

(I also feel happy when people wish me a happy birthday:)

And thank you for bringing some sunshine into a lonely elderly lady's life ~ good karma for you!!
NHSteno
Registered Merit Ranter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: SOME OF THE THINGS THAT MAKE ME HAPPY Reply with quote

Greg, if I live to be that old and that fragile, I sure as heck hope to have a neighbor like you. You rock.
Famous Reporter
Famous Reporter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice note, Greg. Very heartwarming. There are a lot of lonely people out there just looking for someone to care, and you came through, main.

Happy Birthday.

Lance
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forum.depoman.com Forum Index -> Gregorian History All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: